7.25.2013

Introducing (finally) Cael

Our beloved, long awaited and much anticipated baby boy was born May 20th, 2013 at 3:40 in the afternoon.  He weighed in at a hefty 7 lbs, 6 oz. and 20 inches long.  The largest of our children.  It took him a good while to finally decide to make his debut, but once the process started, it was just a short time before I was able to hold him close and see his tiny face.  Our Doctor almost missed it and I'm pretty sure one glove wasn't even all the way on before he "caught" him. 
Having a baby with three older children certainly enhances the anticipation. I had little ones expressing their excitement (impatience) for their baby brother every. single. day leading up to his birthday.   My parents came in Saturday evening to take the kids for us and be here for that last week of school. That night we went to dinner and the kids went with my parents to their hotel.  The next day they came back to get ready for church which helped pass the time until 11:30 when we could pack up the car and go. I think this was the only place this past year that I ever showed up early!  I was a little anxious.  Inductions are different in many ways, but we immediately noticed how odd it felt to be driving to the hospital together with no apparent urgency or need to be there.  Showing up prepared, calm, with a little hint of apprehension was unique to this baby for sure.   My own impatient self prefers going in "in labor" so things just happen instead of the slow but steady check in process and Sunday afternoon shift nurses.  Sunday was a long day of laying around doing nothing, thinking and hoping that things would progress quickly since it was my fourth child and we wanted our baby!  But by 11:00 that night my hopes had faded and I knew it wouldn't happen until the next day.  Luckily that night Carrie had come by and we shared some good laughs and conversation.
Monday was our 11th Anniversary-I think we'd forgotten with the bigger event that was about to take place. Don't get me wrong we tried to work out another way to not have the baby on our Anniversary weeks before, asking the Doc, the hospital etc, but it was to no avail.  Hospital policy and Dr's recommendations left us few choices, and we didn't want to wait so we took our chances of having him Sunday, knowing in our head's he would most likely come Monday-our Anniversary. 
I can't tell you what a relief it was to see my actual Doctor on Monday morning. He reassured me that we would be having our baby that day and left no doubts about how quickly things would go now that he gave the "ok" for pitocin.  I have never had my actual Doctor deliver one of my babies. I don't know why, it just never worked out and we always had the Doctor on call there for the delivery.  Since that had been our MO, we were almost superstitious about having my Doctor come and deliver me.  Dr. T seemed more like Dr. Superman to me that day because he just came in and took charge. I guess the nurses from the day and night before had me stressing out about the induction taking THREE days!  So, when Dr. T checked things out and called out his orders, I was just so happy!  He was right too, I started pit at 11:00 AM and we were ready to go by 3:15...and aside from him getting there in exactly enough time to suit up and barely enough time to get both gloves on he was wonderful.  When Hubstar told me the cord had been wrapped around the baby's neck and body and that Dr. T made one swift smooth move to remove it quickly and effortlessly, I was even more convinced and relieved that Dr. had been there in person to deliver our son.
Cael was so sweet-and just PERFECT in every possible newborn way.  It is a special time you share with your spouse at the arrival of one of your babies. And Tyler has a knack for capturing those moments on camera. I love watching him gaze at our babies and keep vigil over them while they get checked out and wrapped up post delivery.  We were lucky to have the kids and Grandpa and Grandma Sandstrom and Grandma Kimball come right after he was born. They all squeezed into the room to welcome Baby Cael and took turns looking at holding their baby brother in complete awe and wonder.  I will never forget the smiles, the joy and happiness we all felt that day when he was just a couple of hours old.
We had so many pictures and video of our precious little boy and I am proud enough and in love enough to post all of them here, but a little video tribute seemed to more appropriately capture the feelings we had that day and have continued to have this past two months.  We have learned a new kind of love in our home that only a new baby could bring.  It's been the most beautiful thing to see and experience and we are so grateful for this tiny soul and calm spirit that has enveloped our home.


video

3 comments:

heather said...

Sooooo sweet! That song makes me all kinds of emotional every time I hear it. I used it in Jack’s 16th birthday video too for his first year. Such sweet memories. He is beautiful and you look like you just got out of the salon--not just gave birth. So happy you finally got another little boy.

P.S. I have a picture you forgot to add into the video.

JLJ said...

Beautiful! Newborns are so precious. I'm in shock ours is already 11 months old. It seems like it was last week we were swaddling her and putting her to sleep in our arms.

Your hospital must have a hair and make up team come in right before delivery to make sure the new moms look perfect for their pictures. Seriously. How can you look so good after a day in the hospital + labor??

Kristal said...

I didn't even know you were pregnant. And Heather is right, you look like a model about to go out on the runway, not a woman who just gave birth! Congrats on your sweet boy. He's a cutie!